MCCCI urges double action in Aids fight

Post was last updated: April 30, 2018

The Malawi Confederation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry (MCCCI) has asked the private sector players to double their efforts in fighting HIV and Aids.

MCCCI Head of Accounts and Finance, Chimwemwe Luhanga, made the remarks in Blantyre on Thursday during the eighth Malawi Business Coalition against Aids (MBCA) annual general meeting (AGM).

Luhanga said with reports that urban areas have more people living with HIV and Aids than in rural areas, it is important that the private sector plays a significant role in fighting the pandemic.

“Human resource is one of the key factors of production. So a healthy workforce will lead to growth and profitability of any business. So I am encouraging the private sector players to join MBCA which fosters HIV and Aids trainings and information,” he said.

Luhanga added that the coalition, which has 75 members, also needs to consider dealing with other diseases apart from HIV and Aids.

“As you are aware now, we are faced with a wave of other diseases such as blood pressure, diabetes; these too affect the profitability of any business. Therefore, we need to look at these issues holistically,” he said.

MBCA was formed in 2005 to provide information and training to employees in the private sector on HIV and Aids.

About 80 percent of the coalition’s resources are provided by the National Aids Commission (Nac) while the remaining 20 percent is generated from the member’s annual subscription.

Nac Head of Partnerships and Liaison, Owen Banda, hailed the coalition for propagating HIV and Aids related issues in offices and business places.

Banda said the involvement of the coalition has seen a reduction in stigma and discrimination in workplace.

MBCA Chairperson, Alfred Mulenga, said there is need to diversify and include other diseases on its agenda for the coalition to remain vibrant.

“Surely we need to be more aggressive. We need to be visible and we also need to enrich the subject of HIV and Aids,” he said.

Let us know what you think of this update and remember to add us on our facebook and follow us on our twitter. Make sure to come back daily for more Malawi business news updates.

Quick Links: Malawi Banking News | Malawi Technology News | Download Business eBooks | Ten Signs You Are An Entrepreneur | What is a Managing Director?

Today’s top business story: Top Commercial Banks In Malawi

Source link