What is the Anti-Corruption Bureau of Malawi?
Hello everyone, on this page you learn what the Anti-Corruption Bureau of Malawi is about, it’s strategy, policies, and official acts. The anti-corruption bureau is generally known as ACB for short.
The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) of Malawi was established in accordance with Section 13 of the Constitution, which commits the country to ensure accountability, transparency, personal integrity, and financial probity in public institutions. The Corrupt Practices Bill, passed in December 1995 and amended in 2004, now known as the Corruption Practices Act, led to the creation of the ACB.
Responsibilities of the Anti-Corruption Bureau:
- Taking necessary measures to prevent corruption in public and private bodies.
- Receiving complaints, reports, or information regarding alleged or suspected corrupt practices or offenses under the Act.
- Investigating received complaints, reports, or information.
- Investigating alleged or suspected offenses under the Corruption Practice Act.
- Investigating offenses under other written laws disclosed during investigations of corrupt practices or offenses under the Act.
- Investigating the conduct of public officers possibly linked to corruption and reporting to the appropriate authority.
- Inquiring into matters related to the exercise of its functions under the Act.
Anti-Corruption Bureau Role:
- ACB is a government department aimed at strengthening confidence in public institutions through transparency and effectiveness.
- The Director General and Deputy Director General, appointed by the President, lead the ACB; their appointments require approval by the Public Appointments Committee of Parliament.
- Other ACB officers are appointed by the Director General through standard recruitment procedures.
- The finances of the Bureau are charged to the consolidated fund.
- The Director General is subject to the direction and control of the Minister of Justice on policy matters but has independence in performing professional duties.
- The Director General must submit an annual report to Parliament through the Minister of Justice.
- As of 2023, the current Director General of ACB is Martha Chizuma.
Malawi Anti-Corruption Bureau Social Media Account
NOTE: You can download the national strategy for ACB that covers 2019-2024.
You can also check out the ACB official website, the penal code and read our page on how to contact ACB.
- Malawi Internet Service Providers - May 31, 2023
- TNM Introduces MoMo Bundles, customers are NOT impressed - May 17, 2023
- TNM MoMo Bundles Guide - May 16, 2023